Pages

Tuesday 2 August 2011

August BOM block and a very pretty girl

This weekend was our annual girl's trip to Nordens Ark (The Nordic Ark) in Sweden. As usual we had a fabulous time, and apart from a much needed short thunderstorm around mid-day on Sunday the weather played nice. I took over 700 pictures over the two days, and it's gonna take me some time to sort through them all, but I want to share one of my favorites from one of the major highlights of the trip - we got to watch this pretty girl named Sparta being fed:



Coming home I guess I was a bit more tired than I thought because my brain couldn't function properly. I was going to do the August block of the Christmas Greetings from Elm Creek Manor block of the month - "Glad Tidings". This looks like a simple block, doesn't it?



And it was, once I got my head wrapped around it! It only took two major errors, a block that's 1" too small (that's one for my orphan blocks box), and a night's sleep to get it right *lol*. Well, at least I learned something! Now I get to breathe before the September block :-)

Wishing everyone a fabulous week!
Hugs and stitches from Anne Ida

6 comments:

Doniene said...

Sparta is beautiful!! I'm working on my "Glad Tidings" (not sure if I'm glad yet or not!!) As usual I'm piecing by hand, and mine was a little big!!! But I figured it out and hope to have it done in a few days. I only piece when I sit and watch TV. Still working on the Christmas Cactus. 6" cactus leaves are a challenge!!!

Blessings

Laila said...

WOW that was a big Cat, and a beautifull one :-)
Great new block too. :-)

Tone Yvonne said...

For en flott tiger!! Må ha vært litt av en opplevelse å oppleve den så nært.

Inne i mellom har hjernen en helt egen logikk ;-D og ingen ting blir som det skal. Som når min blir "høyrenhendt" funker dårlig for meg som er venstrehent hahahaha :O)

Jeg har ikke sydd ett sting siden sist. Har riktignok hatt en liten åpenbaring, men ingen evne til handling i sikte enn så lenge....

Ha en fin kveld og en forsatt fin uke!!!

Stor klem fra Yvonne

Nonnie Quilting Dreams said...

When I was first learning to quilt a couple of years ago I joined several block of the month clubs and made bunches of blocks. I worked out of the same stash/ bin of fabrics so they stayed as a control scrappy quilt.

Every block was a different size, not because they were made wrong but because the
blocks from different clubs were being made at different sizes. I coped with the size differences in different ways...

framed the blocks ...

used coping strips...

floated them in the background fabrics...

Sharon Craig wrote several books on the subject of using mis-sized blocks. Her tricks and tips were great.


Nonnie

Anne Ida said...

Hi, Nonnie! Thanks for your comment! I do plan on using some of those techniques when I get to sewing up my orphan blocks, but for this quilt I need all blocks to be the same size and all points matching. Once I had a good night's sleep this was a simple block to do. I have now learned not to sew when my head is feeling like a ball of cotton ;-)

Jeanne said...

Your chimneys and cornerstones is wonderful! The reds really pop! The hedgehog is cute, too. But, the Tiger
is awesome!