Pages

Saturday 12 June 2010

Playing with small scraps

I needed a quick gift for someone, so earlier this week I had a browse through my scrap boxes to see what I had I could use. What I ended up with was this cute table topper:



The only pieces cut from stash is the binding and the backing, everything else is from my box of 2.5" strips and squares.

Since the grown-ups received a table topper, the little one in the family had to have something too, so I made another one of these fabric cubes:



This one is a fair bit smaller than the previous I made - each square finishes at 3"; and perhaps more suited for small hands :o)

While I was diving throug the scraps I also found a box stuffed with HSTs. When Bonnie posted the Carolina Christmas mystery she recomended we "double sew" the points on the poinsetta blocks and saved the cut-off triangles for some later project. So I did! And just stuffed them in the box and more or less forgot about them. Now they turned up, and since the iron was hot and I was in the mood for some more smallish sewing I started pressing and sorting.



This is how it looks at the moment:



There are enough HSTs for six more of these blocks (the squares in some of the blocks come from my 2" squares box). I don't really know what to do with them; maybe just set them with some light squares and a simple border? I need to do some thinking....

Hope all have a great and creative weekend!
Hugs and stitches from Anne Ida

10 comments:

KatieQ said...

Your table topper is beautiful. It will make a lovely gift. Your solution for using the "cast off" triangles from Bonnie's mystery, is amazing. They are going to make a fabulous quilt.

Unknown said...

Du er flink! Nydelig løper og fine stjerneblokker. Sikkert kjempefin med lyse blokker imellom :o)

Julie said...

Hi Anne Ida,
These little blue stars just are calling for an appliqued center medallion of some sort to twinkle around. I have been picking away at a wall hanging made just from my scraps too. I think I might have to cut into stash for a couple of the longer borders, but all the blocks I'm hoping to get from scraps. Maybe for some of the geese I might have to go into a couple of fat quarters. Maybe get to sewing in a few...you've got me iching....

szkornelia said...

So lovely presents. They are really nice.

I would love to rumble throuhm my scrapbag and find half of a pretty quilt. :)

Elaine Adair said...

Finding those delightful little blue/white HSTs is like finding a treasure! Lovely - And there are enought to actually make something of them. 8-))) This might be a good opportunity to make a simple and clever alternate block - maybe a simple blue/white chain??

Gudveig HN said...

Jammen er du flittig! Det ble en nydelig løper!
De blå blokkene kan helt sikkert bli et lekkert teppe.

Debbie said...

Fun post, Anne Ida! I love your use of the triangles. The table topper is beautiful.

Tone Yvonne said...

Playing with scraps is connecting with you inner child ;O)

The tabletopperturned out beautifully and the cubes must be a hit for small fingers :O)

Have a wonderful Sunday :O)

klem fra Yvonne

Oddbjørg said...

Løperen ble lekker! Spennende å se sluttresultatet av stjerneblokkene. Ser for meg et fint teppe :-)

Days and colors said...

Please, keep on playing! Love your blocks, beautiful blues!