Pages

Monday 8 October 2007

The quilt on the back of the chair

I had some questions about the quilt in the picture in my last post - the one hanging over the back of the green chair. And when it comes to share my quilts, I'm not difficult :o)

This is one I made the summer 2002 (I think...), and while I still was a student I kept it at my office at the University - to take outside on those wonderful summer days when reading could be done outside or when an afternoon in the park was an ending to a day of studying - afterwards it has been to different parks, beaches and trips. It has been in the washing machine more times than I remember, and the batting is wearing thin and the fabric is wrinkled, but I love it! I found the pattern in this Norwegian book by Grete Gulliksen Moe and Kirsten Vistnes from 2000 (first published 1988/1990):

I also had a question on how it was constructed, so I have made up a couple of blocks and taken pictures as I went along. This is for two mirrored blocks.

I started of by piecing together strips of fabric – I used FQs, so I made two short sets, you can make them wof:

Clean cut four squares – mine were 10" square, and cross cut the squares:

Rearrange the pieces:

Piece them together – I pieced the triangles into HST units and then pieced them together as a four patch:

My blocks turned out 12 3/4" squares. I have a bit of a cold, and feel mostly like getting to bed (but I had to do some sewing tonight - therefore these two blocks), so that is my excuse for not being too focused when stitching the pieces together – got a couple of them the wrong way around on the light block:

I don't think I'll bother to fix it...? I'm going to make these into a cushion by sewing a purple border on them and perhaps a button in the centre, and will let the light block be the back :o)
Enjoy your strip piecing adventure!

14 comments:

dot said...

I am going to have to try this. Thanks, I was jsut thinking about what my next project would be.

Rose Johnston said...

Oh this is great Anne!! so quick and simple yet so effective, i love it!!! I hope ur cold gets better soon!!! Plenty of that chicken soup and bedrest!!
Hugs

Sweet P said...

What a wonderful tutorial. Those blocks are beautiful.

Patch said...

your blocks look great. I love seeing what other people are creating.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I love cutting blocks apart and this method looks very interesting.
It seems that whole Europe is having a cold. I am feeling quite like you and just want to go to bed too! Maybe I will just try these blocks before I do though! Take care.

meggie said...

What a great idea, & so effective when it is all together.
Thank you for sharing!

Patch said...

Thanks for the comment you left me about my hexagon quilt - I machine pieced it as each hexagon is actually 2 halves and you make one row at a time and then join them. I machine quilted in the ditch(or somewhere near the ditch) so that you could still see each fabric clearly.

Elaine Adair said...

You are a DOLL to do this, so quickly and with a cold to beat! I NEVER would have thought of the big square cut in quarters - so much easier than I had invisioned. Thank you so very much!!!

Mel said...

Wow, I love the look of this quilt. I will have to try this technique. Thanks for the detailed pictures.

sewkalico said...

This is very interesting, another thing to add to my 'someday' list :O)
BTW your home looks so nice and cosy in your previous post.

May Kristin said...

Oh, I know this! I have done many, I don't know how many, tablerunners and tablecloths, baby quilts by using this technique! It is really fast. OMG, I am really getting old, because it is more than 17 years since I used this technique.....
Fun to see your quilt!

Unknown said...

Those blocks are great, I have to bookmark this so I can look it up later. I hope you feel better.

Rose Marie said...

What an interesting block and the effect is amazing. Well done! Hope you feel better soon.

Laurie Ann said...

Hmm.... I like it! I am going to print out the picture and try it again. Thanks!