Pages

Thursday 12 April 2007

#2 Show and tell of finished projects

Well, as I wrote two days ago I have been planning to keep up with my show and tell, seeing as I haven't been able to do much sewing lately. In a posting on an e-mail group I'm part of, one of the ladies linked to a picture of a beautiful quilt she had just finished, and that reminded me: I have made a version of that excact same lap quilt! I just don't think that much about it, seeing it every day where it hangs on the back of my sofa :o)





I made this the summer 2002, and seeing as each section is finished with batting and quilting before it's put together, it was a great project for evenings on the veranda at the summer house. Each square is consistent of four squares stitced togeter. The squares are then "twisted" in the same maner you do when you make traditional cathedral window blocks before you stitch the last seam, leaving an opening to turn the block. But instead of folding it around a separate piece of fabric like a cathedral window block, you insert a piece of batting, stitch it closed and quilt it.
After all the pieces are done, they are joined toghether. I did all the prep-work of stitching the squares together by machine - then I brought the wole project down to the summer house, sat on the veranda in the evenings and turned them, added the batting, and closed the seams. Then I brought the squares home with me and quilted them on the machine, and then sewed them all together.





I have stitched mine together by hand using an invisible slip stitch, she has used machine and decorative emboydery seams (I hope she don't mind me linking to her webshots album!). As you can se the effect is rather different :o)

It was a lot of fun to do, and it was also fun to se the difference of the outcome - and they are both different from the original pattern in the book "Kreative lappeideer" ("Creative patchwork ideas") by the very talented Norwegian quilter Lise Bergene.


8 comments:

Rose Johnston said...

Thanks for sharing another finished project Anne.....i really really like this, the colours work so well together and i love the final effect...well done!!!

Inga said...

Lovely colours! I get the feeling of fire and water.

Inga

Leigh said...

That looks great. It has a "glow" about it.

Anne Heidi said...

What a nice quilt to snuggle up with. Love the colors! Hmm, I think I have that book as well....

Jeanne said...

Great quilt. I really to see how the same pattern turns out when made in different colors or with different values. Thanks for sharing.

meggie said...

That is a lovely quilt! Thanks for showing us.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That just jumps out at me, it is so fresh. thanls for sharing, hope all is good, tracey

The Chicken Lady said...

The colors are beautiful together. I love the bright orange and the blues. :)