Pages

Wednesday 7 February 2007

Shopping spree, but blocks done

I started the morning of with sort of a sleep in – except that I wasn’t sleeping, I was ironing. I finished stitching the siggie blocks last night, but it got to late to iron them, so I did that after breakfast. My plan for the start of today was to stop by the craft shop – opens at 10.00, and if anyone wonders I have sort of flexible work hours – and buy a textile pen in green. Seeing as I’m doing my blocks in green I thought it would be nice to sign them with a green pen. The problem as always was to leave the shop buying only what I had in mind going in. So sort of preventing myself from picking up anything other than the pen I strolled right past the shopping baskets at the entrance. Well you can see for yourself what I brought with me to the counter, all bundled up in my arms…:



Can I say to my defense: I know exactly what I’m going to do with it? …at least most of it… The fabric with the butterflies was so pretty I just had to have a piece, and the silver stars, I’m sure I’ll think of something! And I have plans for everything else.

I’ve been invited to celebrate a friend from university’s 30th birthday on Sunday, and I was thinking of using the black fabric with the silver swirls and the lightest of the two purples to make her a holder/case/mini bag/”mobile-house” for her mobile phone. In the Christmas extra of the member’s magazine of the Norwegian Quilter’s association there was this really great pattern by AnnAKa, and it is a lot of fun to make – I made 12 of them as Christmas gifts, and then why not make one as a birthday gift to someone who didn't get one at Christmas. And I was thinking of making sort of a collage of the same two fabrics and use in one of the key chain frames, maybe also a small purse of some sort as a whole set – I'll have to figure out a small thing to make her twin sister as well, seeing as we are all going out together on Sunday. Wow, I hope I get a lot of free time untill then!

The white and the dark purple need to be washed, and then I’m planning to try to hand piece some Quilted Diamonds. I bought Linda Franz’ books a couple of weeks ago and have been flipping through them, and watching the DVD that came with QD2, and I feel my fingers itching to have a go. Jeanne from Luv2stitch told me she thinks I’ll enjoy making them – she has pictures in her webshots of some really beautiful diamonds she has made. I do enjoy English paper piecing – and Linda Franz’ technique looks more comfortable – no stiff paper between my fingers – just soft, soft fabric. Sigh..!!! Jeanne, to answer your question: I have seen the InkLingo on Linda Franz’ web site, but unfortunately the product is no good for me at the moment, as I don’t have a printer, ink jet or other. But one day, perhaps...
The pens and the rubber stamps will be used to decorate my siggie blocks – some time tomorrow evening. I have trimmed them tonight, and they look like this:

But now I feel like turning in...

6 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Woo hooo - I am reading your blog! You gals in Norway do absolutely gorgeous hand/machine and needlework - I love your sense of color - it's beautiful!

I'm adding your address to my BLOGLINES, so please keep it up. I don't want to miss anything.

Unknown said...

well, well, that was a cheap visit to the craft shop! As you already have ideas about how you are going tu use everything, you don´t have to have a bad conscience! Have a nice birhtday party!

Wendy said...

wow...you've had a full day. The siggie blocks look great. Enjoy the party.

Shelina said...

Your signature blocks look great. And it is all right to splurge every now and then. Just imagine what would have happened if you had that cart. Or if you had to go back to the store for that fabric.

Clare said...

Those siggie blocks look great. I love green and white together. There is something clean and fresh about it. Thanks for stopping by.

Samantha said...

The siggie blocks are very cute!